19990430: mcidasx at stc

>From: address@hidden

Alan,

>Well, Tom, it looks great.  I have only tried a few things, but
>everything seems to work.

I have been working on the load of menu defaults here at the UPC
and have some mods that I will install on your system before I
leave today.  I also found a bug in the thermodynamic diagram
display, so that will be fixed as well.

>A selfish question, How do I make the size of the display frame
>larger?  I am reading in the html for configuring using .mcidasrc
>file (have changed colors back to 64 and works ok)
>but am not sure about changing the -f flag for no. & size of frames.

You edit .mcidasrc and set the -f flag as:

-f num@LINxELE

Where:

num - number of frames
LIN - number of lines in a frame
ELE - number of elements in a frame

Try changing:

-f 17                   (this gives 17 frames of 480 lines by 640 elements)

to:

-f 17@600x800

This will give you a session with 17 frames of 600 lines and 800 elements.

>I am also planning to install and set up the tutorial stuff as
>described on web as learning guide.

Good, I'm glad to hear this.

>As to how our machines will be set up, I have been thinking that we
>would use waldo as our ingest and decode machine.

OK, it is mostly setup now.  What remains is the gridded data.

>Our other terminals (presently os2) will be gradually converted to
>mcidasx, but will go to waldo for their data files,

Eventually through the McIDAS ADDE commands.  ADDE data access amongst
machines on a local network has been shown to be faster than access
to the actual files by NFS.

>just as they now
>go to hobbes.  We do have at least one other terminal that is a twin
>of waldo, in terms of disk space, although not as much ram.

Sounds good.  What exactly is waldo (RAM, CPU, etc.)?

>Your suggestions are welcome as to how you would set it up.

What you have indicated so far sounds good to me.  I will bounce back
to you if/when I have any brainstorms.

Tom