19990429: mcidasx at stc (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Alan,

>Well, after reading your latest message of late yesterday, I feel
>like I may have surrendered almost entirely;

I hope you don't mean that you did not want me to go through the various
configuration steps.  Please let me know if I have stepped on some toes.

>seriously, I appreciate
>everything, you people are great and always have been.

Hmm... sounds like beer time to me :-)

>My assistant snooped a little, but I did not get to talk with him
>when he finished.  I snooped some also, and did not get too far.
>
>Mcidas starts fine, but initially I got a message about not being
>able to start the GUI do to a lack of colors.

You are probably already running one or more X applications that are
using up your color table.  I am willing to bet that the culprit is
something like Netscape (tm).  In order to get around this, you can
exit the other applications; start the GUI/McIDAS; and then restart the
other applications.  The other thing that can be done is to configure
CDE (the Common Desktop Environment you are probably using) to use
less colors.

>So, I looked at .mcidasrc
>and changed no. of colors to only 32 for frames, leaving 16 for graphics.

Since the default now going out with the 7.5 distribution is 64 image
colors, it means that you really are out of colors.  Again, shutting down
other applications will allow you to start with more colors for images.
They will look a lot better with 64 than 32.  After that, however, it
takes a keen eye to notice a difference.

>Upon restart, the message about colors was gone, but now, when I typed
>MCGUI  (I see where you have commented out the line for an auto start
>of the GUI in .mcidasrc) there is another error message that I do not
>understand.  I expect you can identify the solution more easily by looking
>yourself, so I will not copy it here.

OK, the error was related to $str(?GFILE) not being defined.  The reason
for this was that the Fkey/GUI configuration file, UNIMENU.DEF, had not
been copied to the /home/mcidas/workdata directory.  This file needs to
be copied to each user's McIDAS working directory for the Fkey menu and
UPC GUI application to work.  After seeing this on your system, I started
redesigning how this is used in my GUI.  In a future Addenda (upgrade
to code in an existing distribution), I will have this more error proofed.

>I will be happy to do the editing
>if that is the problem, just let me know.

No problem.  This one was due to me not finishing off the installation
as per the instructions in my own web pages.

>Just remember, I can buy some of the beer but not all the beer.

Hey, why _can't_ you buy all of the beer ;-)?

Anyway, your system had been running smoothly for a day, so I decided
to take the next steps in its configuration.  Here is what I did
this afternoon:

o copied UNIMENU.DEF from /home/mcidas/data to /home/mcidas/workdata
  Again, this step will disappear in an upcoming Addenda; sorry
  for the problem.

As 'ldm' I:

o edited /usr/local/ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.  I modified which routines get
  started at LDM startup:

# Programs that share a queue with rpc.ldmd
# are started by it and are in the same process group.
#

exec    "pqexpire"
exec    "xcd_run MONITOR"
exec    "pqbinstats"
exec    "pqact"
#exec   "pqsurf"

  The addition is the line 'exec    "xcd_run MONITOR"'

o modified which feeds are being requested from the upstream host:

# LDM5 servers we ask for data
#
#
request DDPLUS|IDS|FSL2|MCIDAS
        ".*"
        hobbes.stcloudstate.edu      #this is primary upstream site

  The additional feed requested is FSL2.  It is likely that you will
  need to modify hobbes to request this feed from its upstream host.
  If/when you decide that you want to ingest NCEP model data, you
  will need to further modify this line and add '|HRS' to
  the request.

o modified the ACCEPT entry:

# ACCEPT: Who can feed us
#

accept DDPLUS|IDS|FSL2 ".*" chinook.unl.edu
accept DDPLUS|IDS|FSL2 ".*" aqua.atmos.uah.edu

  Again, this simply added the FSL2 feed, but it won't be used until
  waldo starts requesting data from one or the other of these machines.

o edited pqact.conf and uncommented out the xcd_run invocation for DDPLUS|IDS
  data that I added yesterday.  This will start sending all textual data
  (i.e. not HRS data) to the McIDAS-XCD ingester, ingetext.k (which is
  run by xcd_run)

o stopped and restarted the LDM:

  ldmadmin stop
  <wait until all LDM processes have stopped>
  ldmadmin start

Now, the McIDAS-XCD point source data monitors/decoders are actively
producing output MD files from the FOS/NOAAPORT textual data.  It is
this step that allows you to not have to get the MD products in
the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.

What I have not turned on yet is the NCEP model data decoding.  By
default in the McIDAS-XCD configuration, this decoding is turned off.
The reason I do this is that the model output is a LOT of data, and
some sites can simply not handle the volume (no disk space).  The other
reason is that I want sites to get other things running smoothly before
they turn this on.

Sitting here looking at your system, I see that XCD is happily
producing a LOT of data files in the /var/data/mcidas directory.  As an
example of the MD files that are now being created, consider the
following listing:

cd /home/mcidas/workdata
mdu.k LIST 1 100
  MD#  CREATED SCHM PROJ  NR   NC     ID   DESCRIPTION
 ----- ------- ---- ---- ---- ---- ------- -----------
     9 1999119 ISFC    0   72 4500 1999119 SAO/METAR data for   29 APR 1999
    10 1999119 ISFC    0   72 4500 1999120 SAO/METAR data for   30 APR 1999
    19 1999119 IRAB    0    8 1300 1999119 Mand. Level RAOB for 29 APR 1999
    20 1999119 IRAB    0    8 1300 1999120 Mand. Level RAOB for 30 APR 1999
    29 1999119 IRSG    0   16 6000 1999119 Sig.  Level RAOB for 29 APR 1999
    30 1999119 IRSG    0   16 6000 1999120 Sig.  Level RAOB for 30 APR 1999
    38 1999119 ISHP    0   24 2000 1999118 SHIP/BUOY data for   28 APR 1999
    39 1999119 ISHP    0   24 2000 1999119 SHIP/BUOY data for   29 APR 1999
    40 1999120 ISHP    0   24 2000 1999120 SHIP/BUOY data for   30 APR 1999
    51 1999120 SYN     0    8 6000 1999121 SYNOPTIC data for    01 MAY 1999
    58 1999120 SYN     0    8 6000 1999118 SYNOPTIC data for    28 APR 1999
    59 1999119 SYN     0    8 6000 1999119 SYNOPTIC data for    29 APR 1999
    60 1999119 SYN     0    8 6000 1999120 SYNOPTIC data for    30 APR 1999
    69 1999119 PIRP    0   24 1500 1999119 PIREP/AIREP data for 29 APR 1999
    70 1999119 PIRP    0   24 1500 1999120 PIREP/AIREP data for 30 APR 1999
 -- END OF LISTING

MD files 9, 39, 59, 69, 10, 20, 30, etc. are all being produced by XCD
decoders.  This list will expand as soon as the FSL2 data (wind
profiler) and NLDN data (lightning) start arriving on waldo.  I assume
that you are going to want to get lightning data.

I see that you are not currently getting the NLDN data (I checked the
IDD current operational status for NLDN data and don't see any machine
with stcloud in its name in the list).  To get access to this data, you
will need to send an email to Dr. David Knight of SUNY Albany: "David
J. Knight" <address@hidden>.  Dave will set you up with a
point-to-point feed of the lightning data.  To get it, you will have to
request it from the SUNYA machine in your ldmd.conf file.

Regarding file sizes, one thing to watch out for:  the surface MD files
produce by XCD are a LOT bigger than the ones in the Unidata-Wisconsin
datastream:

/home/mcidas/workdata% dmap.k MDXX
PERM      SIZE LAST CHANGED FILENAME DIRECTORY
---- --------- ------------ -------- ---------
-rw-  27201088 Apr 30 00:46 MDXX0009 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-   1376380 Apr 30 00:50 MDXX0010 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-   4288304 Apr 30 00:46 MDXX0019 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-    549724 Apr 30 00:50 MDXX0020 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-   1456832 Apr 30 00:31 MDXX0029 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-    497136 Apr 30 00:50 MDXX0030 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-     18832 Apr 30 00:00 MDXX0038 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-   5023660 Apr 30 00:45 MDXX0039 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-   2608780 Apr 30 00:50 MDXX0040 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-    151832 Apr 30 00:45 MDXX0051 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-   3946480 Apr 30 00:03 MDXX0058 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-   7044544 Apr 30 00:49 MDXX0059 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-    917424 Apr 30 00:50 MDXX0060 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-   6057140 Apr 30 00:29 MDXX0069 /var/data/mcidas
-rw-    275876 Apr 30 00:50 MDXX0070 /var/data/mcidas
61414032 bytes in 15 files

The surface file, MDXX0009, is 27 MB.  The reason is that these files
contain not only SAs and RSes, but also SPs and CORs.  Additionally,
they have data from the entire world.  The same is also true of the
upper air MD files, but they are not nearly so much larger since the US
has a substantial portion of the world's upper air reporting stations.
The ones listed, however, do not have very many of the upper air obs
since I started the decoder at 23 Z.  We will see them grow substantially
as the 0Z obs continue to come in.

Since I setup scouring yesterday, I am not worried about the amount of
disk that will be used by the XCD decoders.  In fact, things are looking
so good that I will turn on the model data decoding now.

As the user 'ldm' I:

o edited /usr/local/ldm/etc/pqact.conf and uncommented out the xcd_run
  invocation for HRS data:

  changed:

#### Entries for XCD decoders
#
##
DDPLUS|IDS      ^.*     PIPE
        xcd_run DDS
#HRS        ^.*        PIPE
#       xcd_run HRS

  to:

#### Entries for XCD decoders
#
##
DDPLUS|IDS      ^.*     PIPE
        xcd_run DDS
HRS        ^.*        PIPE
       xcd_run HRS

o sent a HUP to pqact to tell it to reread pqact.conf:

ps -eaf | grep pqact
     ldm 22213 22209  0 23:05:42 ?        0:01 pqact
kill -HUP 22213

This does not yet turn on the XCD grid decoder.  It does, however, start
having HRS data sent to the XCD ingester, ingebin.k.  ingebin.k, in turn,
writes the data to the spool file, HRS.SPL, in the /var/data/mcidas
directory.

The next step in gettting the model decoding to work in XCD is to enable
it (as per the web instructions).  As 'mcidas':

cd /home/mcidas/workdata
decinfo.k SET DMGRID ACTIVE

OK.  The gridded data will now be decoded into McIDAS GRID files in the
/var/data/mcidas directory IF/WHEN you start requesting the data from
hobbes (recall that the request line in ldmd.conf did not specify the
HRS data) and hobbes starts requesting the data from its upstream
host.

This whole model data setup is tricky.  The volumes of model data in
the NOAAPORT datastream are huge.  It may be that you do not have the
bandwidth to get all of the data.  What we need to do before turning
the feed on, therefore, is to figure out what model data you really
want to get and decode.  This is best done through what you request
from the upstream feeder, not by what you decide to decode.

By the way, back on the subject of starting McIDAS.  Try the following:

o logon as 'mcidas'
o set your DISPLAY environment variable
o run:

  mcidas config

This brings up a GUI that allows you to set various parameters (read
from .mcidasrc) before starting the real GUI (MCGUI).  It also allows
you to start the Fkey menu or nothing at all.

When you start the UPC GUI from this interface, the McIDAS text window
is not started.  The command mode is, however, still available through
three different methods:  a GUI replacement for the command mode;
multiple instances of the McIDAS text window; or multiple instances of
a GUI command mode.  Sounds complicated, but in practice you don't
start up any of these.

To view the command mode associated with the GUI, simply click your
left mouse button on the keyboard icon near the top of the GUI (several
folks have commented that they can't tell that the icon is a keyboard;
it is the one just to the left of the button with the red Z on it).

In this command mode, you can see and reexecute commands that the GUI
runs to product plots.  This is a handy way for the user to see what
McIDAS command will produce what output.

Tomorrow, I think that we should turn off decoding of the MD files in
the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.  I just plotted several surface maps
from your system and see that the XCD decoders are working well.

As a general question, what are your plans vis-a-vis which machine(s)
will ingest and decode data?

Tom