19990422: shared memory on Sun Solaris systems

>From: Jimmy Mejia <address@hidden>

Jimmy,

>I followed the changes that you wrote to me yesterday and I had a
>successfull compilation and instalation but arghhhh!!!!
>I had tryed to run the binary so I made
>
>[mcidas@titan mcidas]$ mcidas
>
>and I had:
>
>WARNING: only run as the user 'mcidas' for supervisory tasks
>mcenv: Cannot make positive UC: could not create 18536620-byte shared
>memory segment
>
>A small blue box appeared in the screen and fiuzzz it crash....
>
>Ok, for today it was enough, I will go to sleep. We will talk tomorrow
>(today later for you :) ).

The problem you are now reporting is discussed in:

Unidata McIDAS-X HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/index.html
  Initial Preparations
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/prepare_mcx.html
    Preparing the Workstation
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/workstation.html
      Shared Memory

"McIDAS-X 7.x uses shared memory for a variety of tasks including frame
allocation. By default, the shared memory facility is activated and should have
sufficient maximum segment size on HP, IBM and SGI systems. However, this is
not true for Sun systems running Solaris 2.x or Digital systems running OSF/1.
On Linux systems, the amount of available shared memory appears to be the
same as the combination of physical RAM and swap."

>Thank you very much for all.

No problem.  You are pretty much done with the initial configuration
process.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Fri Apr 23 15:23:24 1999

Hi Tom!
        Great! it worked!, we have mcidas-xcd running very well in the
Sun computer, now I am going to work in the configuration of McIDAS-XCD
Grib decoder.

                Thank You very much and have a nice weekend.
                                                                Jimmy