19990421: Unidata McIDAS-X 7.50 installation (cont.)

>From: Jimmy Mejia <address@hidden>

Jimmy,

re: building with gcc/f2c on Sun Solaris SPARC
>Ok, I made  the tips in the webpage said about compiling mcidas with
>gcc/f2c and I got successfull compilation, but, now when I run
> make install, make install.mcx or make install.xcd or make install.all
>I get the next error message.
>[mcidas@titan src]$ make  install.all
>make: ERROR: Lack files needed for install: mcimage
>
>You must do a 'make' before doing a 'make install'
>
>make: *** [chkgen] Error 1
>of course is not true, I made make mcx; make xcd

This is telling us that the McIDAS application mcimage did not get created
during the build.  What we have to find out now is why it did not
compile/link.

>I searched for a "mcimage" file in the /home/mcidas directory and I did
>not found anything.

It is made by the build process.

>May be I must to say that I deleted the all directory
>of mcidas7.5 that I made changes  when I was trying to compile mcidas with
>g77 and I used a fresh copy sources for to use gcc/f2c.

In the directory /home/mcidas/mcidas7.5/src is a log file of compiler/linker
output from the build.  This file, makelog, should contain the messages about
what went wrong in the mcimage compile/link.  You should look in this
file and send along the section on mcimage so I can help you figure out
what went wrong.

>I also saw in the support web page and neither I did not found anything
>like this.

The problem is that the link failure for mcimage did not generate an error
that would cause the make to stop.  It appeared, therefore, that the build
finished fine when it really didn't.  When we find out what went wrong
with mcimage, we may find that other routines also did not build correctly.
We will ahve to take thes one at a time.

>Thank You very much.

Talk to you soon...

Tom Yoksas