19990416: SCHE

>From: Anthony James Wimmers <address@hidden>

Tony,

>I'm trying to register a new raob schema UPPR into SCHEMA, but I have the
>following problem. I copied the file DCUPPR into /home/ajw7g/mcidas/data
>and /home/mcidas/data (and /home/mcidas/mcidas7.4/data). When I try this
>as user mcidas, I try
>
>SCHE DCUPPR
>
>to which it responds
>
>*--SCHEMA * UPPR *, VERSION * 1 * ADDED TO SCHEMA FILE *  KEYS=359
> --END OF SCHEMA REGISTRATION PROGRAM
>
>and then when I try
>
>LSCHE UPPR
>
>it responds correctly:
>

>NAME: UPPR  VERSION:  1  DATE: 98349  TEXTID: "RADIOSONDE OBS--MIXED L>

Most likely it is the write permission on SCHEMA.  The fact that the
LSCHE UPPR returns LSCHE: DONE without listing out the schema is telling
us that the schema did not actually get registered.  The most likely
way for this to happen is that the copy of SCHEMA that you are attempting
to write into has read/write permissions set so that 'mcidas', 'mcadde',
and 'ldm' can write into it, but other users (world) can not.

>I tried to copy /home/mcidas/data/SCHEMA into /home/ajw7g/mcidas/data,
>but afterwards it would still not list the UPPR schema. Why is that?

That is probably because you have a REDIRECTion in your session that still
points to the copy of SCHEMA that was not writable.  Since you are
copying SCHEMA to your own McIDAS working directory, the REDIRECTion
should be '.':

REDIRECT ADD SCHEMA .

>Thanks,
>
>Tony Wimmers