19990412: mcidasx & solaris-intel (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Alan,

>Thanks for the steer last Friday.  We have done the changes you
>suggested in our .cshrc file, and most errors have gone away, but
>the one listed below regarding tcl stuff remains.
>
>>sh tclcomp.sh /home/mcidas/tcl ../tcl ../tk tclcomp
>>tclcomp.sh: Couldn't find Tcl configuration information
>
>The directory home/mcidas/tcl exists, but there are no subdirectories
>or files located there.  Have we omitted something?

The /home/mcidas/tcl directory is one that gets populated with "stuff"
during the installation process.  At this point, this directory should be
empty.

>The info on your web site indicates that Tcl/Tk executables are built
>as part of the mcidasx build process.

Yes.

>Also, the html notes say we should find build problems saved in ~mcidas/
>mcidas7.5/src/makelog, but we do not have anything listed there.

You havn't gotten to that point yet.  The sequence of events during a
build are:

o you define McINST_ROOT to define where you are eventually going to
  install the McIDAS distribution.  You have set McINST_ROOT to be
  /home/mcidas which is what I would have recommended

o you run mcinstall which uses McINST_ROOT in creating the directories
  into which the McIDAS distribution will be installed

o you cd to mcidas7.5/src and run 'make', 'make mcx' or 'make all' to
  build the distribution

In order for the last step to work, your PATH must contain the directory
or directories where your compilers and needed utilities (like make)
can be found.  I logged onto your system as the user 'mcidas' and
did the following:

which gcc
no gcc in /bin /usr/bin /etc . /opt/SUNWspro/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/ucb

which f2c
no f2c in /bin /usr/bin /etc . /opt/SUNWspro/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/ucb

This shows that your PATH is not correct since the compilers can't be
found.  'make' is, however, in a directory that is in your PATH (good).

In looking at your system, I find that both gcc are located in the
/usr/local/bin directory.  Therefore, you need to add this directory
to your 'mcidas' users PATH:  edit /home/mcidas/.cshrc and:

change

set path=(/bin /usr/bin /etc . /opt/SUNWspro/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/ucb)

to:

set path=(/bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /etc . /usr/ccs/bin /usr/ucb)

You can see that I am adding /usr/local/bin and removing /opt/SUNWspro/bin.
The reason for removing /opt/SUNWspro/bin is that this does not exist on
your system (since you do not have the Sun development environment
compilers).

After you modify your .cshrc file, then make the changes active:

cd /home/mcidas
source .cshrc

Make sure that there are no errors reported and that you can then find
the gcc and f2c executables:

which gcc
which f2c

I noted that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is setup with /usr/local/lib as its first
entry, so this does not need to be touched.

After you can "see" gcc and f2c, the build should go smoothly.  HOWEVER,
you should do the following before trying to rerun 'make mcx'.

cd mcidas7.5/src
make clobber

make mcx

One last comment.  If you will be using this machine to ingest data (i.e.
run the LDM) and create McIDAS data files (i.e by using the XCD portion
of Unidata McIDAS), then instead of running 'make mcx' you should be
running 'make all'.

After the build has completed successfully, you install the distribution
by running:

make install.mcxall   (for a 'make' or a 'make mcx'

or

make install.all (for a 'make all')

>So, closer but not yet.

You are within nanometers :-)