19990330: McIdas-X 7.5 build problem on Debian Linux

>From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>

Mark,

>I'm attempting to build McIdas-X 7.5 on Linux.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, your system is Debian Linux; ture?

>I downloaded the archive
>today (3/30/1999) unpacked it.  Setup the mcidas and mcadde acounts
>according to the instructions on the Mcidas homepage.

Did you read the Notes and Warnings document that describes the environment
variables you need to set in order to build the netCDF portion of the
distribution?

>I started the build
>with "make mcx" and it started compiling.  Several minutes into the
>build it halted with an error:
>
>checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/bin/cc -E
>checking user-defined Fortran compiler
>"/usr/local/mcidas/mcidas7.5/src/mcfc"... works

This line is confusing for me.  I think that this is in the netCDF configure
phase; true?  If so, why is mcfc being referenced, especially given your
comment about using the 'fort77' downloaded from us?

>checking for Fortran .F compiler...
>checking if Fortran compiler handles *.F files... no
>checking for Fortran preprocessor... /usr/bin/cc -E
>checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... sub_
>checking for Fortran "byte"... yes
>checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
>checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... configure: error: Could
>not link conftestf.o and conftest.o
>make: *** [../netcdf/config.status] Error 1
>
>I've double checked everything and I've gone "by the book" on all of this.
>I'm using the fort77 downloaded from Unidata.  Any ideas as to what has
>gone wrong here?

Since the netCDF is a new part of the McIDAS distribution, it may well
be that there are some issues related to Debian Linux that I have
not run into.

>I can provide you with access to the machine if this will help.

This would probably help, yes.

Tom Yoksas