19990324: upgrade qusetions

>From: "Bill Gustin" <address@hidden>

Bill-

>    Since we are still running Warp 3.0 should we upgrade beyond 7.1 (to =
>7.4 or 7.5)?

Well, Warp 3.0 is not Y2K compliant and I ran into some problems with
Warp 3.0 and TCP/IP 2.0.  However, I believe you are using Warp
Connect (3.0 with TCP/IP 3.0).  I have no reason to believe that
McIDAS 7.5 will not run on Warp Connect - I just don't have any machines
to test it on here.  If you are going to install McIDAS-X 7.5 on your
ingesting machine, your clients must also be running McIDAS 7.5.  Just
to be clear, Warp Connect is not Y2K compliant either, but 7.4 worked
on it with no problems.

Here is the strategy I suggest -

1) Upgrade the hardware on your ingesting system and convert it
to a Linux system.  If you have $1400 to spend, you might want
to consider just purchasing a new system.  You can get a pretty
well configured system for that price that would work as an
ingestor.  We recently tried to upgrade a system here with a
new motherboard and ran into all kinds of hardware conflicts.
It might just be easier in the long run to purchase a new system.
Install the LDM and McIDAS-X on the ingestor.  We can help you
along on that.  Also, if you get a new system, you can still
keep your setup running as is until you cut over to the new
Unix system.  You would feed osric from the new system, once you
got the LDM up and running.

2) On your other OS/2 systems, upgrade to Version 7.5 if you are
running Warp Connect.  If these are 133 or higher MHz Pentiums,
you should be able to load Linux on them and get very acceptable
performance out of McIDAS-X.  For now, you can use McIDAS-OS2 until
you get comfortable with Linux.  However, remember that Warp Connect
is not Y2K compliant and that we will not support McIDAS-OS2 after
July 31, 1999.

At any point along the way, let us know if you have questions.
You might also want to consider signing up for the LDM workshop
this summer if you can swing it.

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Server               http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/