19990319: McIDAS-X - REGRID

>From: Bill Fingerhut <address@hidden>

Bill,

>Yesterday, I ran into trouble using the REGRID command in McIDAS-X
>7.4, with an ETA grid. I checked the e-mail archive and found
>that this problem had already been reported.

>I was happy when I first noticed the REGRID command, because
>I have needed this capability many times, and I believe
>others would use it as well. Regriding is needed to compare
>forecasts from two different models or to compare model
>output with observations. Pretty important stuff. I am
>a little disappointed now, since it does not work with ETA
>grids.

REGRID was coded before McIDAS had the capability to deal with
Lambert Conformal Tangent projections;  McIDAS historically has
provided support for Lambert Conformal Secant projections.

>However, it is not a problem for me; to accomplish
>my goals, I can and do use MDX.

Sounds good, but the problem is that support for MDX will be sunset
in an upcoming release.

>I seem to have developed a habit of not encouraging others to
>use MDX.

For most, this is a good habit since MDX is really hard to use.

>The exact reasons are old and fuzzy at this point.
>In your reply to the trouble report mentioned above, MDX was
>not mentioned. Perhaps, Tony's problem is different than
>mine, or there is some other reason.

My response to Tony was specifically about REGRID.  Since MDX will
eventually go away, I think that the best course of action would be
to add the TANC capability to REGRID.

>So, I was just wondering if I should email Tony and share
>how I use MDX? What do you suggest?

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to share what you have learned with the
rest of the McIDAS community.  There is way to little exchange of
information between McIDAS users in our community, so I would definitely
encourage you to jump in there.

Thanks for the update.

Tom