19990316: text output in mcidas

>From: address@hidden (Kathy Fryberger)

Kathy,

>I am trying to save mcidas text display to a file (ie., UL LIST 72662) while
>in a script.  I used the script you sent me earlier that saves graphics
>output since that works really well.  And I thought I could just slip in
>commands like TFILE and use it like the SVGIF.K.

Are you doing the text listing in a McIDAS session, or are you doing this
from a Unix shell script (I am guessing you are using the Unix shell script
approach)?

If you are operating from a McIDAS session, then a 'TFILE DEV=T fname'
invocation should work fine.

If you are running from a Unix shell script, then you should redirect the
output of the command to the file you want.  TFILE works with the McIDAS
Text window widget; this will not exist when running from a Unix shell
script.

>Unfortunately, I am not
>doing something right since it never works. This is for a web page display
>just like the graphics outputs.  Much thanks for any help!

Again, talking about Unix shell scripts, try the following:

o logon as the user 'mcidas'
o run:

  ul.k LIST nnnnn t > file.out

'file.out' should have the output text from the ul.k invocation.

Please let me know if you were trying to use TFILE in a McIDAS session
and it wasn't working.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Wed Mar 17 11:41:14 1999
Tom---As usual, your ideas for a UNIX script to obtain the
mcidas text displays work terrific!  Mucho thanks!!  And
there is absolutely nothing wrong with TFILE in mcidas.
It works just fine.  I am having brain problems today....
thanks again!