19990315: grdimg is not an ADDE application

>From: Lance Cowled <address@hidden>

Lance,

>I have been wondering for some time how to use grdimg with mcidas 7.400.
>The command seems to require grid and area numbers but our grids and areas
>are now in the ADDE format.

GRDIMG works on local files only; it has not been updated to work with
ADDE datasets.  Even though I have not seen a timeline by SSEC for
converting GRDIMG, I have to believe that it will be done sometime
after their 7.60 release (mid-May)

>Regards,

What we do here at Unidata is create a dataset called MYDATA which has
all relevant groups (IMAGE, POINT, GRID, and TEXT).  The IMAGE group is
a mapping to all possible AREA file numbers (1-9999) which are
locatable through REDIRECTions.  We can then copy grids from datasets
using GRDCOPY, turn them into images using GRDIMG and then copy them
back to an image dataset using IMGCOPY.

>Lance Cowled
>Bureau of Meteorology
>Hobart, Tasmania

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Tue Mar 16 05:10:54 1999
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me on this.  I will try the
technique you describe to make the images.

Regards,
Lance Cowled
Bureau of Meteorology
Hobart, Tasmania