19990309: installing McIDAS 7.10 on Solaris 2.6

>From: Craig Motell <address@hidden>

Craig,

First, if you are really attempting to install McIDAS-X 7.10, I would
strongly recommend that you switch to version 7.40 instead.  We support
one version previous to the current release, and we are working on
releasing the new version of McIDAS (7.50) very soon.

>I have started installing Mcidas on our Solaris 2.6 system
>on a Ultra 1.
>
>I am at the stage where I run the command
>
>"make mcx"
>
>I get the following:
>

>sapo% make mcx
>rm -f disable_mcidas_gui; cp disable_mcidas_gui.sh disable_mcidas_gui;
>chmod 755 disable_mcidas_gui
>rm -f enable_mcidas_gui; cp enable_mcidas_gui.sh enable_mcidas_gui; chmod
>755 enable_mcidas_gui
>rm -f fx; cp fx.sh fx; chmod 755 fx
>rm -f mcidas; cp mcidas.sh mcidas; chmod 755 mcidas
>rm -f mcidasx; cp mcidasx.sh mcidasx; chmod 755 mcidasx
>rm -f mclink
>Updating mclink...
>chmod 755 mclink
>rm -f mcservsh
>Updating mcservsh...
>chmod 755 mcservsh
>rm -f mcar; cp mcar.sh mcar; chmod 755 mcar
>rm -f mccomp; cp mccomp.sh mccomp; chmod 755 mccomp
>rm -f tclcomp
>sh tclcomp.sh /export/sapo2/mcidas7/tcl ../tcl7.5p1 ../tk4.1p1 tclcomp
>tclcomp.sh: Couldn't find Tk configuration information
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `tclcomp'
>sapo%
>
>---------------------------
>
>I expect to see a log file but could not find one
>(or a file call makelog)

The output from the Tcl/TK 'configure' step is not logged into 'makelog'.
The output from the build of McIDAS routines, is.

>One note, I did not install and tcl libraries but I thought
>this software was a part of this installation.

It is.  This is where the failure occurred.

>Also,
>I don't have netcdf installed -- at least not yet -- since
>I don't plan on doing LDM stuff.

No problem for McIDAS.

>Any suggestions?

I am betting that your PATH has the /usr/ucb directory before the
/opt/SUNWspro/bin directory.  If so, it would mean that the version of
'cc' that was being used for the 'configure' step for Tcl/Tk is the
wrong one.

What you need to do in that case is:

o cd mcidas7.1/src      (you really ought to get the 7.40 distribution!)
o make clobber
o <change your PATH in .cshrc (C shell) or .profile (Bourne/Korn shells)
  so that the Sun development environment version of 'cc' is used
o make the changes to .cshrc/.profile active in your session
o restart the build anew:

  make all

>Thankyou for your help.

Please let us know if the above was not your problem.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Wed Mar 10 13:55:37 1999
Hello Tom,
You suggested that I use 7.4 versus 7.1. I will switch to 7.4.

Prior to your remarks I wanted to use 7.1 b/c another person out here
said there were problems with 7.4. In anycase, I'll download 7.4.

Thankyou for your help,

Sincerely,
craig

Craig Motell