19990219: Problems with Mcidas on Solaris X86 (cont.)

>From: Mel Taylor <address@hidden>

Mel,

re: try remaking mdx.k
>Remaking mdx did not change the results, it produced the same error results
>as the earlier email.  I started playing around with STRTABLE (as you
>suggested this as the next likely culprit).  I could not get any further.

OK.  We chatted about what could be wrong on your system and came up
empty handed.  Would it be possible to get a login as your 'mcidas' user
so I could poke around (need machine name, and password)?

>I did the following:
>
>1.  copied STRTABLE from my working SPARC machine into the users mcidas/data
>directory.

OK.  STRTABLE is binary, but the mods we made back in version 7.1 should
make it usable on the little-endian x86 platform.

>2.  deleted the STRTABLE from the mcidas/data directory (of course I got the
>string not found message, so this produced the results expected).

There should be no copy of STRTABLE in ~mcidas/data.  This file should only
be found in:

o user's McIDAS working directory
o in the temporary directory under ~<user>/.mctmp created for each session

A copy of STRTABLE in the ~mcidas/data directory would be _bad_ since files
in that directory are meant to be shared among all users.

>Well I'm off for the weekend. I'll be getting back at it on Monday.  Have a
>good weekend.

The fastest way to the bottom of your dilemma would be to give us a login
to the 'mcidas' account.  That way we can see if anything in your installation
went amiss, correct and test it, and then get back to you with what happened.

>--
>Mel Taylor (address@hidden)
>College of Science & Technology
>Central Michigan University