19992017: access to Unidata McIDAS-X 7.40

>From: address@hidden (Chris Herbster)

Chris,

>As I was instructed to do, I'm requesting the login info so that we
>might download the GEMPAK and McIDAS softwares.
>
>If you'd prefer to provide this info by phone, please call 904.226.6444.
>Thanks!!

Below, I include the access information for Unidata McIDAS Version 7.40.
Access information for GEMPAK/N-AWIPS will be sent under separate cover.

Below is the letter we have been sending to sites requesting access to
Unidata McIDAS.  Some of the following is now a little old (e.g.
reference to Fall '98 semester, etc.).  The majority of the comments
are still valid.  The access information is buried in the text.  Please
read the various notes and look through the online documentation BEFORE
you attempt to build the distribution.

As a reminder, the primary contact for McIDAS at a site should be
subscribed to our McIDAS-X email list so that s/he will be made aware
of important changes/additions/bugfixes to the distribution.  You can
subscribe online through the following web page:

We felt that it was absolutely necessary to make the distribution
available ASAP so that sites have time to load in and configure the new
distribution before the Fall 1998 sememster/quarter.

Please note the following:

1).  The online documentation is not 100% finished (or in its final form)

2).  There are changes already slated to be made to the McIDAS-X distribution.
     These changes involve:

     o refinement of the configuration of Unidata NIDS and NOWrad ADDE servers
     o augmentation/modification of the Unidata Tcl/Tk GUI
     o documentation for Unidata Tcl/Tk GUI
     o development of an ADDE server for imagery in Terrascan format
     o creation of PostScript (tm) versions of McIDAS Users Guide and
       XCD Adminsistrator's Reference
     o other

3).  We strongly recommend that sites installing Unidata McIDAS-X do _NOT_
     do a 'make clobber' after installing 7.40.  The object files and
     McIDAS-X and -XCD libraries will need to be there so that upgrades
     can be easily integrated into the 7.40 installation.

4).  We strongly recommend/essentially mandate that McIDAS-X be installed
     in an account named 'mcidas'.

5).  We strongly recommend/essentially mandate that McIDAS-X remote ADDE
     server be setup in an account named 'mcadde'.

6).  We strongly recommend that McIDAS-X 7.40 be installed using the standard
     linking technique contained by default in the makefile and associated
     scripts.  Since the technique uses hard links, the install directories
     must be on the same file system as the build (package) directories.

     If you can not do an installation in this manner, please contact
     Unidata User Support for individual assistance; this will not be
     easy when it comes time to install bugfixes and upgrades.

7).  Please do not hesitate to report inconsistencies or omissions in our
     online documentation.  Since it is brand new, there are bound to be
     a number of things that need modification.

8).  Please do not hesitate to ask for assistance when building, installing,
     or configuring Unidata McIDAS-X 7.40.  The cleaner the installation
     on your end, the easier it will be for you to use and update and the
     easier it will be for us to support.

9).  Year-2000 code changes will be made available to us by SSEC as they
     become available or by their November upgrade to us.  We will try
     to make those changes available to you as soon as possible.  This
     may be through addenda to the Unidata 7.40 release or through a
     7.50 release.  If it is better to do the latter, you can expect it
     sometime in the spring of 1999.

10). The current release of the ldm-mcidas decoders will not link against
     Unidata McIDAS-X 7.40.  We will be working on ldm-mcidas in the
     coming weeks to make it compatible with Unidata McIDAS-X 7.40.

11). We request that you let us know which version of Unidata McIDAS-X you
     intend to use: -OS2, -X, or both.

The new user name & password information:

machine: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user: umcidas
pass: XXXXXX!
directory for OS/2: os2/740
directory for X   : unix/740

The user name and password are the same for both FTP and web access to
the distribution.  We encourage you to grab the distribution files
through the web access that we have provided.  Please review the
Unidata McIDAS documentation at:

McIDAS-OS2
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcos2

McIDAS-X
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx

Please keep us informed as to your progress.

>Chris Herbster
>Assist. Prof.
>ERAU
>address@hidden
>address@hidden

Tom Yoksas
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
(303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <