19990208: finding data files in McIDAS

>From: "praveen kesireddy" <address@hidden>

Praveen,

>This is praveen reddy,I am a graduate student at western michigan
>university,I am working for Dr Elen Cutrim in geography department
>I have some questions regarding the mcidas program,only dR.

OK.

>Elen can
>access the meterological data but not the students,

This means that Elen's account has McIDAS file REDIRECTions that allow
her session to find the relevant data files.  What you need to do for
each user is to give them the same set of file REDIRECTions.  This is most
easily done by creating a McIDAS REDIRECTion file in the ~mcidas/data
directory.  Each McIDAS user will have access to this file by virtue
of the setup of his/her MCPATH environment variable.  Once the student
can see the REDIRECTion file that you setup, then s/he can restore
that set of REDIRECTions to her/his account by running the command

REDIRECT REST <fname>              <fname> is the name of the file that you
                                   setup

from her/his McIDAS session.

>I need to give the
>permission to the students how should i enter into this MCIDAS program
>so that i can enter the root directory and give the access privilages to
>the students in the class,

I am not sure I understand your question about "root directory".  You can
give access to accounts by adding appropriate file REDIRECTions in McIDAS.
As long as the files being pointed to by McIDAS are readable, then the
user will be able to use them.

>So please reply me as soon as possible.

I recommend that you review our web documentation that deals with building,
installing, and configuring McIDAS:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx

Go to the McIDAS-X link under Software in the left hand side frame and then
read the various sections that relate to McIDAS installation.  The method
of creating a set of file REDIRECTions that can be used by all McIDAS
users is discussed in the documentation, so reviewing the information in
context will make more sense.

>Thanking you in anticipation ,

Since configuring McIDAS is not a one step process, I am sure that we
will be talking more in the near future.

>Sincerely
>Praveen Reddy

Tom Yoksas