19990120: mcidas 7.4 install docs?

>From: Dana Quinn <address@hidden>

Dana,

Long time no hear!

>hey there everyone!  I'm finally getting around to
>upgrading my mcidas installation to 7.4 here at
>College of DuPage.  I have the problem, however that
>we are having severe network problems here at the school -

I have seen several comments from Gilbert related to this.

>I can't guarantee from minute to minute that I'll
>be able to access the unidata web site to read the
>install docs.  Do you have the docs somewhere tar'd
>up, or in a single file, or something like that, so
>I can ftp them back here during one of our moments
>of network connectivity?  It would be fine if I could
>just install the html tree here locally even.

We don't have such a thing yet.  I'll take a quick look to see if
this could be done easily.  One of the problems I know about right
off is that the McIDAS web stuff uses GIFs (tm) that are in a
directory off of the McIDAS branch.

>As an example of our problems - 3 minutes ago I was looking
>at the docs, now I can't access the site.  The problem seems
>to be with routing outside of the school, but there doesn't
>seem to be a fix in sight, and it's going on 3 weeks now
>that we've had problems.

Bummer.

>Anyway, if there was a way I could get the docs here I would
>greatly appreciate it.

I'll take a look.

>PS I already have the source tars, so I don't need to worry
>about that!

OK, this is good to hear.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Wed Jan 20 15:08:57 1999

Just writing a quick note back about our network problems.  As chance
would have it, about the time I got your note back I received word that
our ISP's network engineers had fixed something, and our full connectivity
does seem to be back.  We'll see how long it holds up, but we aren't
experiencing any problems at this time.

So, the good news is that you won't need to worry about putting together a
doc package for me for the install.  It might be a nice thing to have in
general, but I don't anticipate needing it at this time!

Dana