19990108: reply to your 990107

>From: address@hidden

Alan-

>The solaris material we received is described as kit, solaris 2.7 sparc/intel.
>It came on 3 cd's and one floppy.  I don't see any mention as to whether it
>includes compilers or not.  This software was ordered from their web site
>under their Developer Connection promotion.  I don't recall any options for
>choosing compilers when I made the order.  I seem to recall a comment from
>Tom last fall that the sun package included the compilers, whereas with
>linux I would have to buy them separately.

Actually, it is just the other way around.  Linux comes with gcc and f2c
for compiling.  For Solaris it is a $400 add on.  We can create a binary
release for McIDAS for you.  However, that will have to wait until
after Tom returns from AMS.  In the mean time, we can get the LDM
and the LDM-McIDAS decoders up and running.  Also, there is a binary
for GEMPAK/NAWIPS/GARP if you want to start playing around with that
also.

>From the labels on the cd's, it looks like one is for sparc systems,  and
>one is
>for intel systems.  the 3rd cd is apparently used in the install for both.
>
>Video cards in the new machines are ATI AGP with 8Mb.  I inquired about
>others but was told I could not specify them (matrox).

These should be okay.

>Will try and get some extra memory for the one machine.

Any extra amount will help.  128MB is not bad for a start though.

Don