19990107: asusxxxx file for McIDAS FRONT program

>From: Mike Leuthold <address@hidden>

Mike,

>I'm having trouble with the FRONT program.  I get
>
>FRONT --- BEGIN
>FRONT: No fronts available in ASUS file(s)
>
>The file exists and there is data in the file.  Did the NWS make
>a change to the format that broke FRONT or is it a local problem?

Apparently the format of the VALID line in the 15 and 18Z front bulletins
has changed (??).  Don worked front.pgm over to recognize both versions,
so you should grab a new version of the source and remake it on your
system (7.10 correct?):

unix/710/bugfix/front.pgm

Ftp the source code to your ~mcidas/mcidas7.1/src directory and remake and
install the executable:

cd ~mcidas/mcidas7.1/src
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
<user>
<pass>
cd unix/710/bugfix
get front.pgm
quit
make front.k
rm ~mcidas/bin/front.k
ln front.k ~mcidas/bin

>I think this started today.

Actually it started a couple of days ago.  Must be a different person
doing the frontal analysis for these two time periods!?

>Thanks.

You are welcome.

>Mike Leuthold
>Atmospheric Sciences/Institute of Atmospheric Physics
>University of Arizona
>address@hidden
>520-621-2863

Tom