[LDM #HCY-222931]: GTGN data

Hi Mark,

> My name is Mark xxxx and I am working with xxx xxx xxx
> (xxx xxx, founder) on turbulence research.  We would like to set
> up an LDM server to collect GTG-N data.  My understanding is that this
> is the only mechanism for collecting and archiving this data currently.
> I also understand that it is best hosted on a dedicated linux machine.

Your understanding is correct.

> I was able to download the source and to compile it using gcc and the
> other required libraries.  However, I think that is as far as I can get
> with it.  It appears that LDM should be embedded in the Linux startup and
> run as a daemon of some sort.  It's not clear to me how to set that up

How a daemon is started at boot-time depends on the operating system, its
version, and what system modules have been loaded. As a consequence, we can't
offer much advice.

There is an example boot-time script in the LDM documentation which can be
modified to fit your system.

> and
> what information I have to tell the script to get it to output GTG-N data.
> I don't see any documentation on that.

The LDM configuration-file, etc/ldmd.conf, tells the LDM what "feeds" to get.

> It looks like there are many
> data sources it can output.

Yup.

>  Also, it appears as though a dedicated
> static IP is necessary to perform this.

Nope.

What is necessary is that the LDM at the remote site (UCAR in this case) must
be able to translate the IP address of the computer hosting your LDM into a
fully-qualified hostname using "reverse DNS".

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: HCY-222931
Department: Support LDM