[LDM #XNO-331025]: Queue corruption with very large queues with LDM 6.13.16

Hi Gilbert,

> 1. /root% regutil | grep latency
> /server/max-latency : 3600

In that case, the 1.2 TB recommendation from "ldmadmin vetqueuesize" is way off
base -- unless you're also getting *a lot* of non-IDD, non-NOAAPort data.

> 2.  By "writing to disk" do you mean a downstream LDM process writing to the
> product-queue or a pqact(1) process writing to disk?
>
> Pqact process writing to the SSD, receiving the feeds from upstream
> server(s).

If and when the NEXRAD2 and NEXRAD3 products are no longer being written to
disk by pqact(1), see if the products exist in the product-queue by using the
commands

    pqcat -v -f NEXRAD2 -p <nexrad2-pattern> -o 99999 >/dev/null
    pqact -v -f NEXRAD3 -p <nexrad3-pattern> -o 99999 >/dev/null

where <nexrad2-pattern> and <nexrad3-pattern> are the relevant patterns from
the relevant pqact(1) configuration-file(s) for the associated products,

If they're in the product-queue, then see if there are any relevant log
messages from the associated pqact(1) processes -- especially warnings about
processing the oldest product in the queue because this indicates that the
associated pqact(1) process can't keep up with the data.

> 3.  Victor Gensini has reported that his server, atlas.niu.edu, has crashed
> > (completely!) twice over the last few days. Stopping LDM now takes several
> > minutes to do.
> >
> > I haven't heard of this. Where's this report?
>
> You heard it here first. :-)  However, he found the reason why his server
> was crashing; upon further investigation, was a symptom of another issue
> going on.

Not surprised.

> That said, it still takes him a while to shut down his LDM. And I
> am wondering if 6.13.17.3 fixes that delay issue.

It shouldn't.

We've noticed that sometimes the LDM takes a while to terminate -- especially
on VM-s -- while other times it doesn't. I don't know why.

--Steve

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: XNO-331025