[LDM #XQC-361661]: LDM Question

Hi Bob,

> I agree that waiting till XXX XXXX has time to resolve the queue size
> issue is resolved makes sense.
>
> But, I can't explain one thing. When I changed the crontab entry to be:
> 0 0 * * * bin/ldmadmin check |& cat > /var/tmp/ldm.log
>
> This is the output I see in /var/tmp/ldm.log:
>
> (ldm.ipa.unca.edu /ldm-home > cat /var/tmp/ldm.log
> Checking for a running LDM system...
> Checking the system clock...
> Couldn't get time from time-server at ntp.ucsd.edu using the ntpdate(1)
> utility, "chronyd -Q 'pool pool.ntp.org iburst'".  If the utility is valid
> and this happens often, then remove ntp.ucsd.edu from registry parameter
> "/check-time/ntpdate/servers".
>
> Couldn't get time from time-server at otc1.psu.edu using the ntpdate(1)
> utility, "chronyd -Q 'pool pool.ntp.org iburst'".  If the utility is valid
> and this happens often, then remove otc1.psu.edu from registry parameter
> "/check-time/ntpdate/servers".
>
> Couldn't get time from time-server at ntppub.tamu.edu using the ntpdate(1)
> utility, "chronyd -Q 'pool pool.ntp.org iburst'".  If the utility is
> valid and this happens often, then remove ntppub.tamu.edu from registry
> parameter "/check-time/ntpdate/servers".
>
> Couldn't get time from time-server at pool.ntp.org using the ntpdate(1)
> utility, "chronyd -Q 'pool pool.ntp.org iburst'".  If the utility is valid
> and this happens often, then remove pool.ntp.org from registry parameter
> "/check-time/ntpdate/servers".
>
> Couldn't get time from time-server at ntp1.cs.wisc.edu using the
> ntpdate(1) utility, "chronyd -Q 'pool pool.ntp.org iburst'".  If the
> utility is valid and this happens often, then remove ntp1.cs.wisc.edu
> from registry parameter "/check-time/ntpdate/servers".
>
> You should either fix the problem (recommended) or disable time-checking
> by executing the command "regutil -u 0 /check-time/enabled" (not
> recommended).

That's the output I expect from *before* the changes you made.

> NO mention of the queue size problem.
>
> But when I run the check from the command line, I see the message about the
> queue size.
>
> (ldm.ipa.unca.edu /ldm-home > ldmadmin check
> Checking for a running LDM system...
> Checking
> Checking the most-recent insertion into the queue...
> Vetting the size of the queue against the maximum acceptable latency...
> vetQueueSize(): The maximum acceptable latency (registry parameter
> "/server/max-latency": 3600 seconds) is greater than the observed
> minimum virtual residence time of data-products in the queue (8 seconds).
> This will hinder detection of duplicate data-products.
> The value of the "/reconciliation-mode" registry-parameter is "do nothing"
> vetQueueSize(): The queue should be 199424005200 bytes in size with
> 735300 slots or the maximum-latency parameter should be decreased to
> 8 seconds. You should set registry-parameter "/reconciliation-mode" to
> "increase queue" or "decrease maximum latency" or manually adjust the
> relevant registry parameters and recreate the queue.

This output is what I expect *from* the changes you made.

It's as if the "bin/ldmadmin" being invoked by the chrontab(1) entry is *not*
the same ldmadmin(1) being invoked by your user shell. Is the user the same?
Same PATH? Same current working directory (the LDM user's home directory)? etc.

> I don't think this is an issue with the time the crontab entries are
> running as I have tried running the check at various times during the day
> always with the above queue size error. But I only see the chronyd error
> messages when I run the check in a crrontab entry.
>
> It probably isn't worth working on this any more till we can resolve the
> queue size error.

Roger that.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson