[LDM #XZP-843172]: Fwd: LDM 6.13.14.26 is now on crunch01.allisonhouse.com, noaaport3.cod.edu

Hi Gilbert,

Did an "ldmadmin updategempaktables" and then stopped and then started LDM.

> That means our number of packets lost tomorrow will once again be larger
> than normal, but the good news is, so far, everything else is working fine.
> Will be interesting to see if this helps our packet loss, which is low
> anyway.
>
> And after further experimentation, it's doing this regardless of the size
> of the queue, unless it is the default.

What are you referring to by "it" and "this" in your last sentence?

So, knowing your system, and knowing mine, I matched your number just to
> check it out. Indeed, the machine paused for four or five seconds, shot the
> load up to five to six, but immediately came back down to one. A minute
> later, the load average was down to .64 and dropping. So, we'll see what
> happens. Unfortunately, because it is the start of a new Julian day, our
> data losses will be high because I made the LDM stop and start, and I also
> updated the GEMPAK tables back to current.
>
> And since I typed this out, the server load average is still dropping, now
> down to .40.
>
> Can someone explain why there is a substsntial load average surge for the
> first 10 or 15 seconds after starting the LDM with a NOAAport ingester, and
> then it quickly goes away? I would expect this from a relay server that is
> getting a large data feed such as level 2 radar or CONDUIT...but not
> NOAAport with no queue to backfill.

How did you change noaaportIngester(1)'s receive buffer size? Did you
change the system parameter "/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default" multiple
times or did you change the system parameter "/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max"
once and then change noaaportIngester(1)'s "-R" option argument multiple
times?

How many noaaportIngester(1) instances are running?

--Steve

Ticket ID: XZP-843172
Department: Support LDM