[LDM #JZC-260831]: LDM Installation Help

Hi,

re:
> Thanks, Tom.

No worries.

re:
> Somehow I was blinded by the word "development" that was
> highlighted in italics in the documentation! <grin>

I know what you mean - you were/are not intending to "develop" the
LDM (e.g., modify source code), so it didn't strike you as being
a needed step.  Of course, the actual meaning is based on the header
files for a package being part of the development part of that package,
so the development versions need to be installed :-)

re:
> After installing
> libxml2-dev, everything went fine. I am now successfully ingesting
> IDS_DDPLUS data on my RPi.

Excellent!

re:
> This is awesome!

Two thumbs up!

re:
> As for your question about using an RPi, it really comes down to (1)
> budget, (2) it's the only machine I have that I can dedicate to Linux, and
> (3) I thought it would be cool to see if I could get LDM working on a Pi.

(1) - I understand budget!
(2) - OK.  Are you basically a Windows or Mac user?
(3) - The fun factor, I _like_ it! :-)

re:
> have some projects that I am going to be working on using LDM data, and I
> may also explore using multiple Pi's to split the workload.

OK.

More questions out of my curiosity:

- which Raspberry Pi 4 are you using

  Essentially, how much RAM did you opt for?

- what size LDM queue are you using/going to use?

- are you planning on doing decoding of any of the
  data that you are receiving by LDM?

  It is our observation/experience that the receive/relay
  functions of the LDM can be done on a quite modest machine.
  Decoding (processing of data that is received) can be, on
  the other hand, a large user of system resources depending on
  what is being done.

Comment:

- we demonstrated the use of a Raspberry Pi as an LDM relay in
  our booth during an AMS Annual Meeting some years ago

  The Pi that we were using had a single CPU core, and 1 GB of
  RAM.  We demonstrated the utility of the Pi by feeding the
  Raytheon folks instance of AWIPS EDEX in real time, and the
  setup worked without problems during the entirety of the
  meeting.

  We were all very impressed to say the least!

re:
> Thanks again for your help. I'm actually surprised how well building from
> source actually went!

We like for users to build the LDM from source on their own machines since
it will insure that the executables that get created by the build process
will run most efficiently!

It sounds like everything is going well for your setup now.  Congratulations!

Ticket ID: JZC-260831
Department: Support LDM