[LDM #TCW-702523]: downstream LDM server not receiving all data (e.g. nexrad) from local LDM/NOAAPORT ingest systems

Jay & Gregg,

> The kernel.sched_rt_runtime_us is set at 950000. We tried setting it to -1
> briefly to see if noaaportIngester runs.

So disabling cgroup scheduling worked but disabling insights-client was a
better solution.

Another security-related hoop to jump through. Sigh.

We run CentOS here rather than RHEL and don't have insights-client. Can you
find anything in the insights-client documentation that would allow
noaaportIngester(1) to work?

> I talked to Jay and learned insights-client is part of Red Hat Security
> recently installed automatically.  I believe once a system reboots then LDM
> will run into problems when it is stopped and LDM will not start.
> Apparently the insights-client doesn't log anything about how it prevented
> the noaaportIngester process from starting or the user (i.e. in this case
> ldmcp) was trying to do something that insights-client prevented.

Of course it didn't log anything. That would have been helpful. :-)

> Perhaps it would be good to somehow annotate this for users who use RedHat
> Enterprise Linux (e.g. NWS AWIPS program).  It would be interesting to know
> if CentOS will eventually receive this security feature as well.

Yeah. Besides modifying the documentation, I'll communicate with our AWIPS
people to see if they know who I should communicate with in NOAA.

Do you have any suggestions on the appropriate NOAA personel?

> Appreciate everyone working on this and may we all have a great long
> weekend, hopefully IT trouble free as well :)

That *would* be nice!

You all have fun and stay safe. (And see about configuring insights-client.
PLEASE!)

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: TCW-702523