[LDM #JEC-686496]: no ntpdate in RedHat/CentOS8 questions

Hello Jonathan,

> Due to RedHat 6 end of life on 11/30/2020, we have to update several LDM
> servers. We would like to go to RedHat 8. Unfortunately, ntpdate is
> deprecated in RH8 (CentOS8, etc). My questions are:
>
> 1. Besides "ldmadmin check-time", is the ntpdate setting in the registry
> used anywhere else, as in the real time running of the queue/feed etc?  (I
> realize check-time can be disabled via regutil...)

ntpdate(1) is only used by the ldmadmin(1) script, so if you disable time
checking via the registry, then you shouldn't have any problems with
ldmadmin(1).

The ldmd(1) program, however, does depend on an accurate system clock. So some
mechanism must be employed to ensure that.

> 2. Are there any plans to update the LDM software for this RH8 deprecation
> of ntpdate?

This is the first I've heard of this (we don't use RH 8 yet). Now that I know
about it, I'll see about accommodating this deprecation.

Question: will chronyd(8) come installed and configured as a client on your
system?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: JEC-686496