[LDM #AFT-567406]: GOES-17 data filing question

Hi Mike,

re:
> OK, as far as duplexing; does that mean we need half duplex instead of what
> I show here?

No, you want full duplex.

re:
> [mapm3@vulcan ~]$ dmesg | grep -i duplex
> [    8.087990] bnxt_en 0000:19:00.0 eth2: NIC Link is Up, 1000 Mbps full
> duplex, Flow control: none
>
> [mapm3@charney ~]$ dmesg | grep -i duplex
> [   23.260052] e1000e: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow
> Control: None

This was the setup on boot.  You can use 'ethtool' to check what the
interface is running at now.  For instance:

<as 'root' on vulcan>
ethtool eth2

The output will show what is supported, and what is current.  Here is
the output from one of our machines as an example of what your output
might look like:

[root@lead ~]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        MDI-X: off (auto)
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: yes

You will see from this listing that 3 modes are supported (10, 100 and 1000)
and the interface is running at 1000 (1 Gbps) using full duplex.

re:
> Also, as a test I changed the charney SATELLITE feed to iddc.  And as a
> reminder charney is doing nothing except receiving the CONUS and FullDisk.

I haven't forgotton.

re:
> The fact that I start with a new clean slate queue and data still just
> trickles in is troubling and just confirms the suspected shaping, true?

Yes, I'd say that this is definitive.  I brought up the other tests
so completely eliminate other possibilities.  What other possibilities
you may ask?  We have see the Ethernet interface on one of our machines
auto-renegotiate to a speed lower than the maximum that is supported,
100 as opposed to 1000.  When that happened, the flow of data into the
machine turned from a torrent to a trickle.  Ethtool can be used to
tell the interface to re-auto-negotiate, and after doing that, our
connection returned to 1000 Mbps.

As I said during our phone conversation: there are LOTS of things going
on, so checking them all out is a bit arduous.  We have found, however,
that we have had to jump through major hoops before the network folks
at institutions that we were trying to help would even feign to believe
that there was something in their network that was causing a problem :-(

Ticket ID: AFT-567406
Department: Support LDM