[LDM #GUQ-669331]: Both Radar and Satellite feeds stopped downloading abruptly

John,

> The radar and satellite ran normally until around 11am CDT or so when
> suddenly both
> started to get behind.  I also saw the packet counts in a minute long capture
> decline
> dramatically at that time as well (1/6 the amount).  But, about 15 minutes
> later, the
> packet counts came back up to about 1/2 of normal.  The radar slipped behind
> about an
> hour around this time but began clawing it's way back to where it is now only
> 20 minutes
> behind (on good times it's only 5-10 minutes behind).

Your reception slowing down regardless of source is consistent with the problem
being at your end and not ours.

I notice that you're no longer requesting the IDS|DDPLUS feed. If you did, I'm
certain that it would show that those products arrive with little latency.

> One of our two satellite feeds is totally caught back up (one that updates on
> the hour
> only), but the other (NOTHER) is still paused at 1545Z.
>
> So over all, PSU is much better for radar but still has problems with
> satellite.  Or,
> perhaps it would have been exactly the same had I stuck with the ucar servers.

I'm certain that's the case.

Is your campus running the Palo Alto intrusion detection/prevention system? If
so, that's a very complicated system with lots of knobs and switches. We've
experienced cases in which seemingly innocuous changes to its settings resulted
in massive disruption of LDM traffic.

> The
> absolutely most mystifying problem I've encountered since two problems I
> encountered
> working on aircraft avionics.

Welcome to the Internet. :-)

You're running a slightly-older version of the LDM, 6.13.6. I recommend that
you upgrade to the latest version, 6.13.11. It won't solve your problem, but it
does have some improvements in the logging system.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: GUQ-669331
Department: Support LDM