[LDM #JFS-571343]: LDM stops writing data to disk

Jim,

> I have been running the 6.13.6 version of LDM for 9 months without a
> single problem. Last week, without any user intervention or changes in
> the box stopped writing data to the disk. I can use ldmadmin watch and
> see data flowing and I can see the var/queue/ldm.pq file is updating time
> and size but it does not write any data out. Once it starts this behavior
> ldmadmin stop will not shutdown the ldm. If I reboot and clean the queue
> it will not work. If I delqueue and mkqueue it will come back up and run
> for between 10 to 50 minutes before stopping the writes to disk.  I am
> getting all of my data via NOAAPORT and I have read the support emails
> for days seeing many similar problems as mine, yet nothing mentioned in
> those corrects my issue. I tried moving to 6.13.10 but I get the same
> issue. I am not seeing any reason in any logs to what is going on. It
> is as if pqact is running, it just decides not to process anything from
> the queue anymore.
>
> Is there any suggestions you can offer me of where I can look to solve
> this?

I've had one other LDM user report a similar problem. Unfortunately, we haven't
seen that problem here.

It's as if a pqact(1) process hangs. It would be very helpful, therefore, if I
could learn where the hung pqact(1) process is when this happens. Can you
rebuild and re-install your LDM will debugging enabled by specifying the option
"--enable-debug" to the configure(1) script. Then, when this happens, attach
the debugger to the hung pqact(1) process via the "-p <pid>" option of gdb(1)
and get a stack trace via the command "where". You can then quit the debugging
session via the command "q".

I would love to see that stack trace.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson