[LDM #ARA-679268]: Scour in LDM 6.13.6 not cleaning directories that 6.11.6 would

Hi Anne,

> We have recently upgraded our LDM systems to 6.13.6, and it seems like
> scour is no longer working correctly after this change.
>
> I've engaged our system administrators to see if some other configuration
> was changed at the same time, but as far as I know we only updated the LDM
> version and didn't make any other system changes.
>
> Here's an example of scour failing:
> scour: directory ~ldm/logs does not exist, skipping
>
> And the entry in scour.conf is:
> ~ldm/logs                                       1               *.stats

I suspect you're using a version of the "scour.conf" file that was created when
"~ldm/logs" was an actual directory. Several years ago, the "logs" directory
was moved to "~ldm/var/logs"  (to follow best directory-naming practices) and
"~ldm/logs" was turned into a symbolic link to the new directory -- but only on
those systems where it existed.

I suspect your current installation was from scratch -- in which case
"~ldm/logs" wouldn't be created.

You have a couple of options:
    * Change the entry in "~ldm/etc/scour.conf" from "~ldm/logs" to
"~ldm/var/logs"; or
    * Make a symbolic link from "~ldm/logs" to "~ldm/var/logs".

You could also do both (having the "logs" directory appears in the LDM user's
home directory can be convenient).

> I know the current documentation says that scour can follow symbolic links,
> but I'm wondering if you have any other places I might check to see why
> this isn't working?
>
> Also here is the difference between the current version of scour and the
> one we'd been using before:
> < PATH=/usr1/ldm/ldm-6.13.6/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
> < CONFFILE=`regutil /scour/config-path`  # default, if no args
> ---
> > PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
> > CONFFILE=/usr/local/ldm/etc/scour.conf                        # default,
> if no args
>
> <       if edir=`cd "$dir" && /bin/pwd`; then
> ---
> >       if edir=`echo "cd $dir && /bin/pwd" | csh -f`; then
>
> <                       awk '{diff=$1-$2; print (diff < 0) ? 0 : diff;}'`
> ---
> >                       sed 's/\([0-9]*\)
> \([0-9]*\).*/b=\1;a=\2;d=0;if(a<b)d=b-a;d/'|\
> >                        bc`

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: ARA-679268