[LDM #WRQ-251036]: LDM without Root

Chris,

The LDM server uses port number 388, which is a well-known port (i.e., it's
registered with IANA). On a Unix-like system, port numbers less than 1024
require root privileges in order to bind to them.

One could build an LDM that used a different port number, but then every other
LDM that wanted data from it would have to be told (in the LDM
configuration-file) to use the non-standard port number.

It's doable, but not recommended.

> I am curious to see if there is a workaround to installing LDM without
> root user access.   I have my own account on an HPC but I don't have root
> permissions.  What are my options and what are the drawbacks (if any)?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: WRQ-251036
Department: Support LDM