[LDM #VPS-995567]: having trouble with ldm

Hi Frank,

re:
> I have a system drizzl.uml.edu running the LDM, receiving data from
> outside my university.  Works fine.

Yes, we see that drizzl is reporting real-time statistics back to
us, and those statistics show that it is receiving feeds from Brockport
and Rutgers.

re:
> I have a second system stratus.uml.edu, that I want to feed from the
> first system.  I installed the current version of the LDM, and it
> appears to run when I start it.
>
> However the ldmd.log shows
>
> 20180920T194849.726472Z drizzl.uml.edu[2700] WARN error.c:236:err_log()
> Couldn't connect to LDM on drizzl.uml.edu using either port 388 or
> portmapper; : RPC: Remote system error - No route to host
>
> I thought it might be SELinux, but that is disabled now.
> I am running on CentOS 6.10 on both systems.
> I can ssh from either to either.

How is the firewall on drizzl configured?  I ask because I am unable to
contact the LDM running on drizzl from a machine here in Unidata, and the
inability to contact drizzl's LDM was not due to the lack of an ALLOW
in drizzl's LDM configuration file, ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.  I suspect that
drizzl's firewall is configured to allow SSH connections on port 22, but
not LDM connections on port 388.

re:
> Do you have any suggestions?

The first thing to check is the firewall on drizzl.  The easiest way
to do this is to use something like 'telnet' or 'ncat' (which might
be named 'nc').

Telnet example:

<as 'ldm' on stratus>
telnet drizzl.uml.edu 388

netcat example:

ncat -v -4 drizzl.uml.edu 388

re:
> Thanks,

Please let us know what the results of the telnet or netcat test are.

Ticket ID: VPS-995567
Department: Support LDM