[LDM #TBH-137757]: How to reproduce assertion error from portmapper

Hi Anne,

> We are upgrading our LDM systems to 6.13 from 6.11.6 and 6.11.5, and would
> like to show that 6.13.6 will not fall prey to the assertion error caused
> by upstream LDM port/network problems as we've experienced in the past.
>
> Can you give us some advice on how to test that a server with 6.11.6 will
> fall to an assertion error, but the 6.13.6 will not?

The file CHANGE_LOG in the more recent distributions contains this:

6.11.7  2014-04-04T15:37:47-0600
    Downstream LDM:
        Squashed a bug that could result in an assertion failure if a remote
        site's portmapper was successfully used to connect to a remote LDM
        server (thanks Gilbert).

So, in order to verify that the bug has been eliminated, a downstream LDM would
have to fail to connect to port 388 of an upstream LDM but succeed using the
upstream system's portmapper.

I think the simplest way to do this is to build the upstream LDM such that it
uses some port other than 388. This can be done via the configure(1) script
option "--enable-port=<n>".

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: TBH-137757