[LDM #OXP-765029]: Using pqinsert with -p option

Hi Carol,

> We want to potentially change our filenames for a dataset we are inserting
> into our ldm queue. We don't want to have to ask our downstream users to
> change their pqact, so we heard about the -p option for pqinsert.
>
> I don't think I quite understand how this would work, so maybe you could
> help me with this example.
>
> Let's say we are currently naming our files Drop.Sounding.GTS.*

I assume the last period is literal and the star means anything.

> We want to start naming the files Upper.Sounding.GTS.*
>
> If we use the -p option with the new Upper.Sounding.GTS.* filename, will
> our downstream users still be able to capture the files if they have
> Drop.Sounding.GTS.*

I assume the patterns at the downstream sites have the periods in the above
escaped (i.e., "Drop\.Sounding\.GTS\.).

The downstream sites will probably not be able to capture both classes of
identifiers unless the pattern the downstream sites use is sufficiently broad
(e.g., "Sounding\.GTS\."). Typically, a downstream pattern would look like
"^Drop\.Sounding\.GTS\.", which wouldn't catch products with the new identifier.

> in their pqact? Is there another way to do this?

You want to change the identifier without affecting pattern matching on that
identifier? Almost by definition, this is not easily done. Some possibilities
for downstream patterns that would match both classes of identifiers include
    Sounding\.GTS\.
    ^(Drop|Upper)\.Sounding\.GTS\.

Alternatively, the downstream sites could "double up" on their entries with one
pattern that matches the old class and another pattern that matches the new.

Good luck.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: OXP-765029