[LDM #GNJ-752174]: Need advice on hupping persistent daemons (pqinsert, pqing)

Anne,

pqing(1) is for creating LDM data-products from a serial port of some kind and
inserting them into the LDM product-queue. It's intended to run indefinitely
and, therefore, should be started via an EXEC entry in the LDM
configuration-file so that it can both send signals to and receive signals from
the LDM process-group.

pqinsert(1) is for inserting files into the LDM product-queue as data-products.
It will terminate upon inserting the last file; consequently, it doesn't need
to be part of the LDM process-group in order to receive signals. If it is not,
however, then the LDM process group will not receive the SIGCONT signals which
are sent whenever a data-product is inserted into the queue; consequently, the
newly-inserted data-products will not be acted upon immediately but, rather,
will be acted upon sometime within a 30 second "fallback" window.

I hope this helps. Contact us if you have any additional questions.

> We have been experiencing an occasional problem with our log rotate and our
> pqing processes not moving to the new log.
>
> Do you have any advice on how best to insert data into our queue (pqing vs
> pqinsert) and the best way that they should be hupped for log rotate?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: GNJ-752174
Department: Support LDM