[LDM #MIW-275261]: some questions on hardware configs for our LDM server

Greg,

> I'll need to check but I doubt I can get you logged in.  We are firewalled
> and it takes awhile to get rules added and removed.
> VPN access takes time too.

Pity. Being able to poke around would speed things up considerably.

> We do have a few backend servers processing the data via sharing it from
> the ldm server over NFS.
> None of these server write back to the server, just read from it.
> But I think the heart of the problem lies directly on the processes running
> locally.

So, the LDM system is filing and/or decoding data-products and some of those
data-products are then read by other computers over NFS. Is that correct? If
so, then that will increase the load on the LDM server's I/O system. Have you
thought about running LDMs on the backend systems to request and process the
data locally?

A prior email from you contained this:

> DSK |sdb | busy 101% | read 278 | write 3765 | KiB/r 17 || KiB/w 11 | MBr/s
> 0.46 | MBw/s 4.20 | avq 152.78 | avio 2.47 ms |

We're not certain how to interpret this, but it seems to indicate that disk
"sdb" is 101% busy while writing only about 40 Mbps. Is this correct? If so,
then there's something very wrong with your disk setup.

If not, then would you please tell us what utility printed that line and
interpret that output for us.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: MIW-275261