[LDM #BRQ-910935]: Remaking the queue every time you start the LDM & running LDM in non-daemon mode

Hi Paul,

re:
> Thanks for the quick response.

No worries.

re:
> Is the length of this time period based on /server/max-latency, or is it
> hard-coded?

The default is 1 hour.  One can set the desired time interval
to go back in the 'ldmadmin' command line with the '-o' flag,
or fix the value by modifying the <time-offset> value in the
LDM registry, ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.

re: bouncing the LDM

> The issue is not that some of our processes are not terminating, it's that
> the LDM itself is not terminating.  Some of the government super computers
> that we run on, have a rule that a user process cannot run indefinitely.

This is very strange especially for an application whose purpose is
to get real-time, continuous feeds of data!

re:
> We can attempt to get exemptions for the LDM, but so far we have been
> instead using scripts that retrieve files via http or ftp, and I am just
> trying to understand all of our options.

OK, understood.

Question:

- what is the maximum time that applications are allowed to run?

  If the only recourse is to "bounce" the LDM, it would be best
  to make the time interval between "bounces" as long as possible.

  We, however, would pursue getting an exemption for the LDM, and
  we would point out that it is in use in a number of U.S. Government
  agencies: NOAA, NASA, Corps of Engineers, some military sites, etc.

  FYI: this is the _first_ time we have ever heard of the need to
  restart the LDM due to some site-specific rules for how long an
  application can run.

Ticket ID: BRQ-910935
Department: Support LDM