[LDM #PGI-830871]: LDM and antivirus

Hi Bryan,

Sorry for the slow reply... our LDM developer has been unavailable due
to catching a bad case of the crud that has been going around Boulder.

re:
> Are you aware of any installations of LDM that incorporate virus scanning
> as part of their processing?

I recall that we have received questions like this from typically non-.edu
users.  Our response has been that implementing a process that acts on
a product before it is inserted into the local LDM queue (e.g., using
'pqinsert') is a simple thing to implement.  The specific question that
comes to mind was not for virus scanning, but, rather, for data encryption.

re:
> The example configuration I am thinking of is where a message is received
> and piped to an AV scanner and then passed to another queue to resume
> transport to another receiving LDM system.

When you say that a message is received, do you mean by an LDM?  I assume
that the answer is yes, but I want to make sure.

When you say "passed to another queue" I am wondering if you are thinking
that there are two LDM instances running, and the work flow is to have
one receive a product, and the other to send them.  This is, of course,
possible, but a little tricky to setup.  One thing that might be easier
is to receive products in one feed; setup a pattern-action file action
to run a scanner on the product, and then reinsert it into the local
LDM queue in a different datastream, or with a Product ID that somehow
indicates that it has been scanned.  The tricky part of doing this is
to make sure that the MD5 signature for the scanned product is different
than the one before it was scanned.  This can be easily accomplished
by setting an option on 'pqinsert' that tells it to use the file name
for the MD5 signature calculation, and then make sure that the file
name is different for the scanned product.

re:
> Thanks,

No worries.  Again, sorry for the slow reply...

Ticket ID: PGI-830871
Department: Support LDM