[LDM #NZG-657501]: Changing from syslog to rsyslog

Jeff,

The configure(1) script checks the environment before the LDM package is
build. In particular, it checks for the system logging daemon. Consequently,
I recommend rebuilding the package from scratch (starting with a "make
distclean") after you've installed and started the new logging daemon.

In other words, the following sequence:

    1. Stop the LDM;
    2. Switch the system logging daemon;
    3. "make distclean" in the top-level LDM source-directory;
    4. Configure, build, and install the LDM package as usual;
    5. Start the LDM; and
    6. Verify logging.

This should take a few minutes at most and you shouldn't loose any data.

> We currently have ldm 6.6.5 running with syslog writing the system log
> events.  Rsyslog in currently installed and I would like to switch
> system logs to rsyslog from syslog.  Can I simply add the necessary
> changes to the rsyslog.conf file for my ldm events and stop syslog and
> start rsyslog in its place? Are there changes needed to ldm at all for
> this change? Would I need to restart the ldm processes after the switch?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: NZG-657501
Department: Support LDM