[Support #GHG-536605]: Fwd: ldm-relay1 problems

Hi Donna,

re: LDM instance that was running on earthdata was copied to it

> I believe so. The previous 2 sys admin support guys wanted to compile once,
> test it, and copy it to the other systems. The copy made is of
> ~ldm/runtime/ only -- so no set configuration are changed by accident.

OK.  To be clear, the content of the ~ldm/etc directory is created on
each machine separately (i.e., not copied)?  This is an important point.

re:
> I have the config files in one version on our github and keep the three
> synchronized by doing the 'git push' on the one host and doing 'git pull's
> on the other two.

Can I assume that by 'config files' you mean _all_ of the LDM configuration
files that exist/need to exist in the ~ldm/etc directory, _including_
registry.xml?  If the answer is yes, is the registry file unaltered from
the default that will be installed in a completely new LDM installation?
This question will be answered when you send us the content of the
registry file from earthdata.

re:
> It was nice to talk to you both and I will get the log information to you
> on or Monday.

Diddo. :-)

re:
> Is there a length of time you want me to let LDM run before
> making a copy the log file?

Steve wants to see the very first lines from the LDM log file immediately
after it is created by an 'ldmadmin restart' (assuming that log file
rotation is turned on in the registry, of course).  The first lines will
include the interface and port that the LDM is listening on.  We both
want to see this since an 'netstat -a | grep LISTEN' run on earthdata
did not show the LDM listening on port 388.  This and the lead 'ldmd'
process still being run by 'root' are both red flags for us that there
is something majorly amiss on earthdata.  What may be wrong we can not
say yet, but there is definitely something wrong.

re:
> maybe an hour?

No, I would say less than a minute

Here are the kind of lines that we want to see from the beginning
of the LDM log file on earthdata immediately after a restart:

Mar  3 13:51:41 localhost ldmd[2226] NOTE: Starting Up (version: 6.11.4; built:
Apr 16 2013 14:32:36)
Mar  3 13:51:41 localhost ldmd[2226] NOTE: Using local address 0.0.0.0:388
Mar  3 13:51:41 localhost ldmd[2226] NOTE: local_portmapper_running():
clnttcp_create() failure: : RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused

The second line is the one that says what interface (0.0.0.0 which means all
interfaces)
and port (388) that the LDM was listening on.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time that earthdata was rebooted?  I ask
because you made a comment that there had been a security update made, but
the system was not rebooted afterward.  It could well turn out that the problem
you seeing on earthdata will disappear after a reboot.  Then again, if there
is something more seriously wrong with the OS, then a reboot may do nothing
to correct the problem.

re:
> Thanks again,

No worries.