[LDM #QFT-231267]: LDM Installation Errors

Shengting,

> Yes. The directory /home/ldm is the home-directory of the LDM user, at least
> for now.

Good. That simplifies installation.

> I think you are right about --datadir option, which didn't produce a
> /home/ldm/data directory. But it is one of possible options from ./configure
> --help. I can remove that one. This raises one question though. Where would
> the downloaded data go?

The configure(1)-script's "--datadir" option isn't what you think. It specifies
the root-directory for the installation of static, platform-independent files
such as HTML files and man(1) pages: it's not the root directory for
data-products received by the LDM.

> if I use just ./configure, it configures using the following option (from
> config.log):
>
> Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
> --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
> --enable-bootstrap --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
> --enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit
> --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-gnu-unique-object
> --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,java,fortran,ada --enable-java-awt=gtk
> --disable-dssi --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0/jre
> --enable-libgcj-multifile --enable-java-maintainer-mode
> --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --disable-libjava-multilib
> --with-ppl --with-cloog --with-tune=generic --with-arch_32=i686
> --build=x86_64-redhat-linux
>
> This will install ldm in /usr, which has little memory space to write to. So
> it is absolutely necessary for me to use the --prefix option to install it to
> /home/ldm.

The option-arguments listed in the "Configured with" line in the file
"config.log" are the default values. They are overridden by the execution of
the configure(1)-script. In general, the file "config.log" can be ignored
unless something goes wrong with the installation.

> Would be very interested to hear your advices.

I recommend deleting the installation and starting from scratch. Ensure that
the environment variable LDMHOME is either unset or set to "/home/ldm" and that
your PATH environment variable references the desired utilities. Then follow
the instructions at
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/source-install-steps.html>
 and don't use any configure(1)-script options.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: QFT-231267
Department: Support LDM