[LDM #WGO-783645]: EXEC Directive

Mike,

The FILE entries should use the "-close" option (i.e., "FILE<tab>-close ...")
to ensure that every just-created file is completely available to be
transferred.

When executed by an EXEC entry, the file-transfer script won't have a
controlling terminal because the LDM system runs as a daemon -- so the
diagnostic "print" statements won't work. You should modify the script so that
it logs to the system logging daemon or to a log file -- and then view the
messages to determine the cause of the problem.

Just FYI, after modifying the pqact(1) configuration-file, "pqact.conf", you
can simply execute the command "ldmadmin pqactHUP" to have all pqact(1)
processes re-read their configuration-files rather than use the slower command
"ldmadmin restart".

Also FYI, it might be possible to combine the two actions (FILE-ing and
EXEC-ing) into a single PIPE entry (e.g., "PIPE<tab>-close new_script
LMRFCForecast %Y%m%d%H%M"). "new_script" would be an "LDM decoder" that reads
the data-product from its standard input stream and process it accordingly.
Information on LDM decoders can be found at
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/programs.html#decoders>.

Good luck. Contact me if you have further questions.

> Full Name: Michael P. McGee
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 6.10.1
> Operating System: RedHat Linux 2.6.32-573.7.1
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Trying to run the EXEC directive after files are
> created (see pqact.conf file).  I can run the script to transfer files
> (attached) manually but it won't even start from the EXEC command.  I have
> run ldmadmin restart after making the pqact.conf changes.  Am I missing
> something????  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
> Mike

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: WGO-783645