[LDM #SBI-339892]: Server configuration for LDM

Greetings Jing Li,

[I drove your email into our support system <address@hidden>. I hope you don't
mind.]

> It was nice to meet you last Friday.

It was a pleasure meeting you.

> I have a few (silly) questions
> related to the LDM setup.
>
> 1. Are there any recommended configurations of the server for LDM? I
> am planning to use Amazon instance.

The latest version of the LDM (6.12.6) doesn't run well on the Amazon cloud; we
don't know why. Version 6.8.1 works, however.

The LDM is very efficient; consequently, a minimal configuration should suffice.

> 2. If the RAMADDA is installed on the server, do I need to install
> LDM as a separate package?

Yes.

> 3. What is the relationship between LDM and THREDDS?

The LDM is a mechanism for obtaining data products. It has the ability to file
data-products and/or pipe them to a program. Other than that, it really doesn't
know or care about the data-products.

THREDDS is a mechanism for indexing and serving data-products. It can be used
with the LDM.

> Thanks,
>
> Jing

Regards,