[LDM #OWC-960244]: pqing stripping byte

Carissa,

I have an hypothesis as to why pqing(1) is deleting ESC characters if they
follow the sequence CR CR LF in a WMO bulletin. That sequence is a control
sequence: it introduces the bulletin header; new reports, and the end of the
WMO message. If the WMO bulletin is binary rather than textual, there's a small
but non-zero probability that it will contain that control sequence in its
data. Such a non-control sequence can be delimited and vitiated by appending it
with an ESC character, with the understanding that the ESC character will be
removed by the downstream decoder.

Interestingly, the WMO No. 386 manual doesn't mention this. I can only assume
that this was an ad-hoc hack necessitated by the increasing use of binary WMO
bulletins (it does date from 1994, after all).

As I see it, you have the following options: 1) use pqinsert(1) rather than
pqing(1); 2) append an ESC character to the sequence CR CR LF wherever it
occurs in the data and is not a control sequence; or 3) have pqing(1) interpret
the data as textual rather than as binary via use of the "-f feedtype" option,
in which case the feedtype must have no bits in common with the feed pattern
"IDS|DDPLUS|HDS|NMC2|NMC3|AFOS|FAA604" (see
<https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/feedtypes/>).

I don't know if the last option will work. It definitely won't if the data is
binary.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: OWC-960244