[LDM #VLF-828955]: ldm-6.11.5 pqinsert problems

Julie,

Well, I logged onto Puffin and the LDM user and was able to add data-products
to the product-queue using pqinsert(1) and receive notifications of their
addition.

The LDM user account information is non-standard:

    fgrep ldm /etc/passwd
    +ldm:x:::::

This means no home-directory or user-shell. This might cause problems. I just
don't know because we've never tried that.

I did have to add $HOME/bin to the LDM-user's PATH environment variable in
order to get things to work.

I recommend completing the LDM user account information and setting the LDM
user's profile-files according to the installation instructions.

Be advised that if the pqinsert(1) process is run outside of the LDM
process-group, then the upstream LDM-s will not receive a SIGCONT when a new
product is added to the product-queue. In this case, the fail-safe behavior of
the upstream LDM processes is to check the product-queue every 30 seconds for
new data-products.

Most sites that use pqinsert(1) execute it indirectly via an EXEC entry in the
LDM configuration-file (etc/ldmd.conf) to avoid this delay.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: VLF-828955
Department: Support LDM