[LDM #CUD-113856]: request denial to idd.unidata.ucar.edu

Hi Wesley,

re:Hi, we have been unable to retrieve CRAFT/FSL2/FSL3 data from
idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> since 00Z 5 May 2013.  We were able to push EXP data from that period.
> We are going to upgrade to LDM 6.11.4 to see if that helps.

Upgrading your LDM installation should have no effect on this.

re:
> Are we being blocked at IDD?

No.  We have not instituted any blocks from the toplevel IDD relay node,
idd.unidata.ucar.edu, recently.

re:
> Our old info is:
>
> edu.ttu.dhcp wn035.dhcp.ttu.edu [6.0.14]
>

> This is the new install:
> edu.ttu.wind wedgefest.wind.ttu.edu [6.11.4]

The problem is that neither your old machine, wn035.dhcp.ttu.edu,
nor the new one, wedgefest.wind.ttu.edu, have DNS setup for them.
The following demonstrates this:

% nslookup wn035.dhcp.ttu.edu
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

*** laraine.unidata.ucar.edu can't find wn035.dhcp.ttu.edu: Non-existent
host/domain

% nslookup wedgefest.wind.ttu.edu
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    wnnh002.wind.ttu.edu
Address:  129.118.105.23
Aliases:  wedgefest.wind.ttu.edu

/home/yoksas% nslookup 129.118.105.23
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

*** laraine.unidata.ucar.edu can't find 129.118.105.23: Non-existent host/domain

In the first case (for wn035.dhcp.ttu.edu), we are unable to do a name -> IP
lookup.
In the second, name -> IP exists, but the reverse, IP -> name, does not.  The
ability to do IP -> name lookups is what is needed by the LDM since it needs
this to verify ALLOWs in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.

re:
> Other sites at Texas Tech that are working:
>
> edu.ttu.hpcc realtime.hpcc.ttu.edu [6.10.1]

I do not think that LDM REQUESTs from realtime.hpcc.ttu.edu to any
machine in the unidata.ucar.edu (or more general ucar.edu) domain
since it also does not have DNS that provides for IP -> name lookup.

re:
> edu.ttu.tosm meso-file1.tosm.ttu.edu [6.11.0]

There is forward and reverse DNS for meso-file1.tosm.ttu.edu, so
it should be able to REQUEST from idd.unidata.ucar.edu. You can
test this as follows:

<login to meso-file1.tosm.ttu.edu as 'ldm'>
notifyme -vl- -f ANY -h idd.unidata.ucar.edu

This should show that the 'notifyme' REQUEST is honored.

Please check with your department/college/university network folks to
get DNS for your machine(s) fully setup.  As soon as it is, your
LDM REQUEST(s) will be ALLOWed by idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

Ticket ID: CUD-113856