[LDM #RPJ-782941]: pqmon output and more information

Leonard,

> I'm looking for a deeper understanding of pqmon's output.  :-)  I
> recreated my queues yesterday.
>
> My Upstream says
>
> Oct 31 20:26:41 pqmon NOTE: Starting Up (15240)
> Oct 31 20:26:41 pqmon NOTE: nprods nfree  nempty      nbytes  maxprods
> maxfree  minempty    maxext  age
> Oct 31 20:26:41 pqmon NOTE:    441     1  487839  1889837848
> 441        3    487839 110165224 8476
> Oct 31 20:26:41 pqmon NOTE: Exiting
>
> and my Downstream says
>
> Oct 31 20:26:51 pqmon NOTE: Starting Up (6156)
> Oct 31 20:26:51 pqmon NOTE: nprods nfree  nempty      nbytes  maxprods
> maxfree  minempty    maxext  age
> Oct 31 20:26:51 pqmon NOTE:    451     6  487824  1920836728
> 451        7    487824  79071608 8477
> Oct 31 20:26:51 pqmon NOTE: Exiting
>
> Does nprods indicate Downstreams has received more data-products than
> Upstream sent, thus it has more slots in use?

The number of slots is given by the sum of "nprods", "nfree", and "nempty",
which in both cases is 488281. Your downstream product-queue has more slots on
the free list.

> There are a couple of fundamental sorts of information I'd like to get a
> handle on.  One is, how many data-products are in Upstream waiting to be
> sent?

Probably none.

>  Another is, what are the names of the products in the queue?

The command "pqact -vl- >/dev/null" will list the products in the queue.

> I don't think there's a way to get this information.  I've tried to use
> pqcat to get data-products out, but my products don't identify
> themselves, so I can't see what they are.
>
> Can there be a utility that shows more information about the queue,
> naming the data-products, showing whether or not they have been sent
> downstream,

Because the data-products are sent downstream at different times by different
upstream LDM processes and because a downstream LDM can connect at any time and
request data from the past there's no way to tell when a data-product has been
sent to all possible downstream LDM processes.

> when they were entered into the queue (to see which will age
> out first, for example)?

The product-queue deletes the oldest data-product first in order to make room
for a new data-product. The pqcat(1) command previously mentioned lists the
contents of the product-queue in temporal order, so the first product listed is
the oldest product.

> Thanks.
>
> --
> ==Leonard E. Sitongia