[LDM #MNK-989154]: comparing, contrasting two ldm servers

Hi SJ,

re: what is the output of 'uname -a'?

> [measwx:gempak/model/gfs] ldm% uname -a
> Darwin measwx.meas.ncsu.edu 11.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.0: Mon Apr  9
> 19:32:15 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.26.8~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
>
> surprise surprise. Still running ldm on a Mac. It is running Lion, 10.7.4,
> which is 64 bit

This raises a couple of red flags (for me, at least):

- our experience with running the LDM on recent versions of MacOS-X is
  not good

  We, and at least one of our sites, has observed that the LDM runs fine for
  about a day, and then data that has been REQUESTed from upstream host(s)
  starts to peter out.  Steve has spent quite a bit of time working with
  one site (SJSU) and opened a trouble report with Apple which did not
  result in a resolution of the problem.

- I do not have a current binary distribution for the ldm-mcidas decoder
  package for MacOS-X.

Questions:

- have you been running the LDM under the Lion version of MacOS-X for an
  extended period of time?

  If yes, have you noticed any "strangeness"?   What I mean by strangeness
  is the volume of data actually getting to your machine decreasing
  (reasonably rapidly) with time after the first 24 hours or so of
  operation.

- would it be possible to login to your machine (via SSH, of course) as
  the 'ldm' user so I could try out a build of the latest ldm-mcidas
  package in your environment?

Ticket ID: MNK-989154