[LDM #XBC-274988]: Trouble logging on CentOS 6 system

Hi Leonard,

re:
> Sorry to have trouble with this, but I'm not able to get LDM 6.10.1
> going using a CentOS 6 system here in HAO, which we haven't used before.
> It doesn't log.  I've looked in the support archive, and I seem to have
> everything set up right.

The typical things to look at WRT LDM logging on Linux systems are:

- SELINUX setting

  The setting in /etc/selinux/config should be:

  SELINUX=disabled

  NB:

  - there should be only one uncommented entry for SELINUX in the
    config file

  - the machine typically needs to be rebooted after the SELINUX
    is changed

- check the ownership of the LDM log file; it should be owned by
  the user running the LDM (e.g., 'ldm'), not 'root'

- if the two items above all look correct, I would rebuild and
  reinstall your LDM:

  <as 'ldm'>
  cd ~ldm/ldm-6.10.1/src
  make distclean
  ./configure && make install

If logging is still not working after addressing the items above,
please send us the output from:

uname -a

printenv

ls -alt ~ldm

re:
> It pqact doesn't get files out of the product-queue, although I
> can get to them with pqcat, but I'll get to that after I get logging
> going.

I have never seen this situation.  Are you sure that you are looking
in the correct output directory for your 'pqact' instance(s)?

re:
> [ldm6@mlsodata ~]$ tail -3 /etc/rsyslog.conf
>
> # Unidata LDM:
> local0.* /home/ldm/logs/ldmd.log
>
> [ldm6@mlsodata ~]$ hupsyslog
> [ldm6@mlsodata ~]$
>
> [ldm6@mlsodata ~]$ logger -p local0.debug "test of LDM logging using logger"
> [ldm6@mlsodata ~]$
>
> [ldm6@mlsodata ~]$ regutil /log
> /log/count : 7
> /log/file : /export/data1/Data/ldm-tmp/logs/ldmd.log
> /log/rotate : 1
> [ldm6@mlsodata ~]$
>
> [ldm6@mlsodata ~]$ ls -l /export/data1/Data/ldm-tmp/logs/ldmd.log
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 ldm6 cordyn 0 May 25 10:01
> /export/data1/Data/ldm-tmp/logs/ldmd.log
> [ldm6@mlsodata ~]$

Check /etc/selinux/config.

re:
> This is a new downstream LDM server for us.  I've also set up a new
> upstream server, which is on CentOS 5, and it works okay.

OK.

re:
> The root portion of the install went normally and worked on rsyslog
> on the CentOS 5 system and syslog on the CentOS 6 system.

'syslog' on  CentOS 6, not 'rsyslog'?  I run LDM 6.10.1 under CentOS
6.2 x86_64, and the system logging daemon is 'rsyslogd'.

Ticket ID: XBC-274988
Department: Support LDM