[LDM #BFX-412130]: LDM in the cloud

David,

> The cloud is rather nebulous in my head, too, so I would say that I'm fishing
> for better understanding. Also, certain folks at my university are
> encouraging everyone to consider porting their computational activities to a
> service such as Amazon Web Services, if the same ends can be served with
> lower local hardware and software maintenance costs. So, my fishing
> expedition question to you is a semi-good-faith response to that request.
>
> Maybe the question should be posed something like this: "Can the LDM be run
> in the context of Amazon Web Services (say), and give us (at my local
> university) access to data  comparable to what we do currently get by running
> the LDM on a local server?"

The LDM can probably run "in the cloud" in some sense. The problem comes in
paying for networking. Mike Schmidt looked into this a while back. Cloud
providers can provide very reasonable rates for disk storage and CPU time
because the buy and own the hardware. Because they don't own the networks,
however, a cloud-user must pay the third-party ISP for bandwidth -- and they
appear to be unwilling to lower prices. For something like the LDM, paying for
bandwidth becomes the overriding cost.

> -- Dave

> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                        |       ^   ___       \|/     *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences                    |  ) ^     /||_||\    --0--  *
> *   San Francisco State University   | )  )    /  ||_||  \    /|\     *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                      |  )  )  /   ||_||    \          *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          |  )  ) /    ||_||      \   ^   *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716               |  )  )  )~||~||~~~~ \~~*
> *   FAX:      (415) 338-7705               | )  )  )  ) ~  ~  ~ ~ ~ ~*
> *   Email:   address@hidden        |  )  )   )  ) ) ~  ~   ~ ~ *

Ticket ID: BFX-412130
Department: Support LDM