[LDM #WXA-284039]: permission problem while opening port 388

John,

> I have been using ldm for a while as a downstream user with no problems.
> Recently, we want to make some products available to a user downstream
> from us. This has not been working from a platform at the US Forest
> Service. It looks like it is a permission issue while trying to open
> port 388 for listening. Snippet from log file:
>
> Mar 20 15:01:37 master4 rpc.ldmd[25765] NOTE: Starting Up (version:
> 6.8.1; built: Mar 10 2012 11:48:07)
> Mar 20 15:01:37 master4 rpc.ldmd[25765] ERROR: Couldn't obtain local
> address 0.0.0.0:388 for server: Permission denied
> Mar 20 15:01:37 master4 rpc.ldmd[25765] NOTE: Using local address
> 0.0.0.0:39964
>
> I have checked that that hupsyslog and rpc.ldmd have correct permissions:
>
> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root usfs 7.6K Mar 10 11:48 hupsyslog
> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root usfs 239K Mar 10 11:48 rpc.ldmd

That was my first thing to check.

> The platform firewall is turned off since it is running on a cluster
> internal to the USFS firewall.
>
> Not sure if this helps, but read it on the help page as something to try:
>
> address@hidden ~]# /bin/netstat -A inet -t -n | grep 388
> tcp        0      0 10.30.5.26:40135
> 140.172.12.193:388          ESTABLISHED
>
> If I am understanding correctly, there should be another entry that says
> LISTENING.

That's correct.

> Any ideas on what is causing the permission issues.

Some operating systems can be told to ignore the setuid bit of any file in a
specific disk partition. Perhaps this is the case with the partition that
contains directory "~ldm/bin". You can check for this with the mount(1)
utility. Look for something like the string "nosuid".

> Thanks, John Snook

Ticket ID: WXA-284039